The R/V Discovery is a 65′ Stapleton, designed and well-suited for coastal research and dive operations ranging from day trips to extended cruises. The R/V Discovery’s captains and crew have extensive experience in coastal research and dive operations working primarily on the East Coast.
With the R/V Discovery’s modern navigation equipment, multiple lifting davits, and spacious deck, she has become a favorite amongst the commercial marine work force. Along with her deck attributes she has 3 comfortable staterooms and large salon for lab space and a full galley. With the precise positioning capabilities of the R/V Discovery, it is most advantageous for diving and research when deploying ROVs, AUVs, buoys, cable, and communication profiling.
- Fiberglass hull
- Twin screw
- Builder: Stapleton Boat Yard, Homestead, Florida
- Launch date: August 1982
- Endorsements: Coastwise, Fishery, Registry, Recreation
- Accommodations: 6 berths
- Crew: 2-3, depending on mission
- Endurance: 5-7 days
- 1 Raymarine HSB2 4kw color radar
- 1 Raymarine L760 color sounder (50/200k)
- 2 Icom VHF
- 1 Raymarine WAAS GPS
- 4 Motorola 3 watt handheld radios
- Loud hailer system in pilot house
- Simrad Robertson AP-21 AutoPilot
- RayTech (Raymarine) integrated navigation software package integrates weather reports with vector and raster charts, radar overlays, and depth sounding on PC
- Automatic Identification System (AIS)
- Length, molded: 62′
- Length, LOA: 65′
- Beam, molded: 19′-0″
- Draft, amidships: 4′-0″
- Fuel capacity (approx.): 2800 gallons
- Maximum speed (calculated): 10 knots
- Maximum height (approx.): 34′
- Minimum height (antennas low): 30′-0″
- Minimum speed: 2 knots
- Gross regulatory tonnage: 77
- Fresh water capacity: 500 gallons
- Main engines: 2 Detroit Diesel
- Bow thruster: Vetus BOW 22024, 15 HP, 488 lb/p thrust coupled to separate 24VDC supply (147 HP @ 2150 RPM) 12″ reversible prop.
- Isuzu 12 kW 110-220 VAC
- HIAB 070 AW knuckle Boom Crane 4,410 Lbs @ 11’10” / 2,200 Lbs @ 22’8″
- 8,000 lb deck winch
- QLHD of 1,000 lbs.
- Starboard: Quick Lift hydraulic davit 8′ reach with heavy duty winch with 50′ of ¼” wire. Safe Working Load (SWL) of 1,000 lbs., Working capacity to launch and recover an R.I.B./R.O.V. 1000 lbs.
- Port: Goose Neck Davit with captsan 500 lb. capacity, 10′ reach
- Communications: Cellular phone, satellite voice and data transmission at 64 kbs, SSB, VHF, computer networked with shore-side internet connectivity, 802.11 @ 10 Mb/s
- 13′ R.I.B. with 15hp OB
- Science mission payload: approx. 6 tons.
- Science vans up to 16′ in length can be accommodated
- Data transmission and storage to be accommodated
- Interior of vessel is air conditioned approx. 1100 sq.ft.
- 17′ x 25′ open aft deck
- Work deck (01 Deck) is approx. 250 sq.ft. Open 476 sq.ft. total
- Upper deck (02 Deck) is approx. 100 sq.ft.
- Lab area (Salon on O2)
This all aluminum vessel was refitted in 2011. She has a Hydraulic deck crane which has a dead lift capacity of 3600lbs over the stern and 1600lbs over the side. Two side deck winches rated at 1800lbs each. She equipped with 600ft of 1″ double braid nylon tow line as well as 300′ of 3″ tow line. She is fully mission capable.
For full information and specs please give us a call. “A” Class Boat Hull Length 55’00” LOA 58’4″ (w/rub rails) Hull Beam 16 1 1/4″ Beam Overall 16′ 9″ Freeboard Bow 5’10” Amidship 5’0″ Aft 4’9″ Draft 5’2″ Highest Points Fixed 14’7″ Unfixed 25’0″ Engines Twin Detroit M12V-71-TI Rated HP 540 BHP at 2300 RPM Fuel Capacity 100% 960 gallons 95% 912 gallons Generator 21.5 KW, Single Phase, 120 VAC, 60hz Unit operated at 1800 RPM Displacement 63,900 LBS Potable Water 240 Gallons Sewage 35 Grey Water 110 Operating Conditions Crew Capacity 4 Maximum Passengers 45 Maximum Seas (Transiting) 6′ (servicing aids) 3′ Endurance ( Days) 4 Top RPM and Speed 2300RPM 21 kts Cruising RPM 1400RPM 12kts Towing Capacity (Displacement Tons) 50 displacement tons Ice Breaking Capability 1″ Cargo Capacity 4000lbs Maximum Hoisting Capacity (Bouy,safe working load over stern) 3600lbs Max Sea State.
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Vessel Type: Aluminum
- LOA: 55′ 0″
- Beam: 16′ 9″
- Draft: 5′ 2″
- Capacity: 6
- Voltage: 24 Amp
- Eng Mfr: Detroit
- Eng Model: 12v71TI
- Eng HP: 540
- Eng Num: 2
- Eng HP Tot: 1020
- Generator: Yes
- Trailer: No
Furuno Navnet, Radar, GPS, Bottom Machine Icom VHF Radio